Thursday, June 2, 2011

Choung My Hospital

Today all four of us went to Choung My Hospital, which was about an hour away from our hotel. It's a very small hospital (outside of Hanoi) compared to the National Children's Hospital that we went to earlier in the week. Here in Vietnam they have 3 different levels of hospitals, which dictates their funding and what type of medications they are able to use. I think Choung My Hospital was a level 2 hospital and they have a limited amount of equipment and supplies. We hope to provide them with some fetal heart rate monitors (they currently have one and are in great need of more) and some supplies for the operating room (maybe instruments and trays). I talked with people in the Sterilization Department and learned how they do things at their hospital. Again, I feel very privileged to have all the high tech equipment that we have in the States.

Amanda met with the nurses in the Pediatric Unit and gave a presentation on asthma. Ashley gave presentations on ectopic pregnancy and fetal heart rate monitoring. It seems they have similar practices to what we have in the States, but some things vary due to their limited supplies and medications.

We saw rain for the first time today and it helped to cool things off (a little). I don't think that I've sweat this much in my entire life and it seems to be getting hotter every day. I was very happy that our cab had air conditioning and our rooms are nice and cool.

Tonight we're going out for dinner and karoke with some of the GVI staff. It seems that karoke is a little different here in Vietnam. You rent a room and just sing with your friends. I think that Amanda and Tra will be the big karoke stars tonight, but who knows, the rest of us may be inspired to join in. We'll have to let you know how that goes in our next blog.

So we're all done with our work at the hospitals and tomorrow we get to shop and relax before we head home. I think it's been a very productive week and I'm already looking forward to coming back next year.

Jessica

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to write this. Your stories have been great! I'm glad you are thinking about coming back next year. Continuity is going to be key for us.

    Have some Fannys for me before you leave town! Delicious. And FWIW Richmond was the hottest city in the US two days ago at a lovely 98 degrees, so we've been sweating here plenty! (I realize Hanoi is a different humidity level!)

    ReplyDelete